It is South Australia's first conservation group, founded in 1883 and incorporated in 1959.
If you are interested in joining the Society, please contact us at:
The Field Naturalists Society of SA Inc.
GPO Box 1594
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: 0428 188 318 or President on 0400 292 311
or complete the following Membership Application form (50 kB PDF).
The Society was founded as a Section of the Royal Society of South Australia in 1883.
It was instrumental in helping establish the Belair National Park in 1891, Flinders Chase National Park on Kangaroo Island in 1919, as well as Ferries McDonald, Spring Gully, Clement Gap, Piccaninnie Ponds, Monarto, Deep Creek, Black Hill, Cox Scrub , Mount Taylor, Nixon Skinner, Kaiser Stuhl and Charleston Conservation Parks and Para Wirra Recreation Park. .
The Society owns a number of Nature Reserves which are held for future generations and are all covered
by Heritage Agreements. These are:
Manning Reserve, 45 ha of dense natural vegetation near McLaren Vale:
Forest Range Reserve, 15 ha of sclerophyll woodland of the higher Mount Lofty Ranges;
Nicholls reserve, 58 ha of coastal scrub at Carpenter Rocks in the South East;
Tookayerta Marsh, a section of natural swamp near Nangkita.
Working Bees are regularly held to remove weeds at our properties. See Program (125 kB PDF) for details.
The South Australian Naturalist is our half-yearly journal. Its aims are to promote the study of, and interest in, natural history, and to promote the establishment of reserves for the preservation of our native flora and fauna.
Articles in recent issues are available for online purchase. A list of issues, tables of contents and abstracts of articles can be viewed here.
If you wish to submit an article for publication, please follow the guidelines here (8 kB PDF)
The Botany Club, Mammal Club and Fungal Studies Group participate in surveys of flora and fauna in parks and reserves, working with the necessary State Government permits for taking plant specimens and handling animals.
At Easter 2011, members joined with the South Australian Herpetology Group to survey a small part of the Witchelina property recently acquired by Nature Foundation SA. Witchelina is located west of the ghost town of Farina at the north end of the Flinders Ranges, and good rains in previous months ensured that the arid land was at its best. See the survey summary (700 kB PDF).
See Program (125 kB PDF)
The Fungal Studies Group will be participating in this conference, to be held at Rawson near Walhalla in Victoria, in May 2013. See details (310 kB PDF)
The Fund has been created from the proceeds of the sale of Lirabenda Reserve with the purpose of making available annual research grants to selected applicants.
See Guidelines (20 kB PDF)
Application Form 20 kB PDF or 65 kB Word 2003